Subjunctive Clauses (Mệnh đề giả định)
• S + recommend, insist, suggest, advise, propose, request, ask, require, demand, urge, convince (that) S + V infinitive.
Eg: He insisted that he be right
I strongly recommended that he not go out that night
• We also use: It’s necessary, important, vital, essential, imperative, critical that + S + V infinitive.
Eg: It is vital that Mary come here on time.
It is necessary that, Mary be here tomorrow.
• Otherwise (= If not), Or else
– We should hurry up; otherwise, we will be late.
– (Khẩn trương, nếu không ta sẽ bị muộn.)
– Be careful, or else you will make a mistake.
Cẩn thận, nếu không bạn sẽ mắc lỗi.
– We did everything we could do; otherwise, we could not have finished in time.
Ta đã làm mọi việc có thể; nếu không, ta đã không thể hoàn thành đúng kế hoạch.
Eg: Adverb clause
– Ìf I don’t eat breakfast, I get hungry.
– You’ll get wet unless you take your umbrella.
– I always eat breakfast. Otherwise, I get hungry during class.
– You’d better hurry, or (else) you’ll be late.