1. The house was burgled while the family was _______ in a card game.
A. buried B. busy C. absorbed D. helping
2. I am sorry that I can’t _______ your invitation.
A. take B. except C. agree D. accept
3. ______ what he says, he wasn’t even there when the crime was committed.
A. Following B. According to C. Hearing D. meaning
4. he has impressed his employers considerably and ______ he is soon to be promoted.
A. nevertheless B. accordingly C. yet D. eventually
5. He gave his listeners a vivid ______ of his journey through Peru.
A. account B. tale C. communication D. plot
6. Will you be taking my precious experience into _______ when you fix my salary?
A. possession B. account C. mind D. scale
7. The policeman stopped him when he was driving home and _______ him of speeding.
A. charged B. accused C. blamed D. arrested
8. His stomach began to _______ because of the bad food he had eaten.
A. pain B. harm C. be hurt D. ache
9. If you _____ money to mine, we shall have enough.
A. add B. combine C. unite D. bank
10. he was full of _______ for her bravery.
A. energy B. admiration C. surprise D. pride